Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Rest in Peace, my little friend

A week ago today, I laid my precious little friend to rest. Obie. A little Boston Terrier. He was 14 1/2 years old. We had him for 13 of those years. I miss him incredibly. My heart and chest literally ache. Not a day has gone by that I don't at some point go around a corner or down the stairs and I find myself just seeing him in my mind's eye, laying on the floor. I have never grieved anything or anyone this deeply in my life. He was like my child. I felt just awful making the decision to put him to sleep. But it also hurt me to see him falling down stairs, wobbling when he had to go to the bathroom and getting stuck in corners and not knowing where he was. I held my arms around him while his vet of 12 years gave him the shot. It was very peaceful, but my heart just broke the moment I felt the life go out of him. I began to second guess myself..........."could I have loved him back to health..........what if I'd just tried a little harder...........what if I'd just complained less....?" His last year here was hard. And now I wish I had it to do over again. I wish I'd been a little more patient and held him more. I am telling you folks, if you have a special little buddy in your life like this, you understand. But if not, please remember.........tomorrow is promised to no man. or woman. or doggie. Life is precious. Stop worrying, complaining and fretting about stuff. Don't get in petty squabbles...........I see now that nothing is that important...........I have done almost nothing for a week. And life is going on. Dishes will still be there, bills will be there, but the stuff that really matters..........those you love...........that's what we need to concentrate our time on. I will miss my little friend horribly. I hope that some day the ache I feel now won't hurt as bad. I hope that some day I can focus more on all the life and good times we did have together, instead of all the times I wish I'd done it differently. Life doesn't give us "do-overs." One chance is all we got. Make it count people.

2 Comments:

Blogger scottie said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Patty. I can't believe it has been that many years since Day brough home the little guy on his route with the vet lab. He was a great dog!

Much love,

Scottie

5:47 PM  
Blogger patty said...

Thanks so much Scottie. I very well remember that day. If he had not been working at clinipath, I'd have never had Obie, and more than likely, we might not have met you. You have been a blessing in our lives, even though we don't get to see you anymore. Thanks for always being so nice to Obie. He was indeed quite a character.

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home