Thursday, July 12, 2007

A New Day

Okay, so a friend of mine got me this little book for my birthday........back in APRIL. It is called "Life Lessons for Busy Moms." I brought it home from our lunch date and it landed in a spot in the living room. Weeks would go by and I'd look over at it and laugh "I'm even too busy to sit and read a book about busy moms..." Well, a month ago, I sat down and read the little "poem" just inside the cover. I cried and cried and cried. Yep, this is right where I am......Then a couple days ago, I sat and read the first little chapter. They are very short and have a few questions to ask yourself at the end. And a few suggestions as to how to apply it to your life. I like that,practical, just give me a list of 4 things......and I did it. And one of the things I decided to do has been REVOLUTIONARY for me. I know it's only been a couple days, but you know how you "discover" something and it's an IMMEDIATE feeling of "oh yeah, I KNOW this is gonna work........" Well, and it's so simple and some of you have probably told me this....but sometimes you gotta see something in just a certain way...It talked about focusing on the accomplishments, even if they're just very small, instead of focusing on what you DON'T get done or how you are not a "good enough" mom...So I have started doing that. And to make it even easier to implement, I have set my goals the lowest I've ever set them in my adult life........yesterday, all I wanted to do was pick up the stuff in one small room. That was it.......my goal for the day.......and I did it.......and instead of falling into temptation of looking around at the end of the day and saying "wow, look at all the stuff I didn't get done AGAIN" I was able to say "Well, I did exactly what I wanted to do today." wow. And I know I'm trying to "fool" myself in a way.......but I think this is where I need to be for now. It is helping tremendously. This morning, that room was clean and I just sat down and watched Annalynn play and instead of getting upset when she started "bugging" me as I was trying to read something, I told her, "Honey, go get a book and I'll read to you." And I put my little article down and read her the book and she was happy and went to play some more and I finished reading my article. I have been trying for so long to cram too much into a day and get frustrated when it never works out........well, I'm done with that....Thanks God for a timely gift. Even though I didn't pick it up for 3 months, it hit me right when I needed it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenny W said...

i love it when that happens! when you need something, it's already in your house you just don't know it, God somehow gets it into your hands and boom things are a little better. it doesn't have to change the universe, or even be MEANINGFUL to anyone else...it's just a little kiss from Jesus to you:)

7:39 PM  
Blogger Jenny W said...

read the best friends article about the glaucoma puppy. very very sad...so many people don't know that's what they're contributing to!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Sarafu said...

Sounds like a book that I need! I am so glad that it has made such a positive impact on your daily life. I know as a mom that every little bit of extra sanity helps. :)

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jenny W said...

hey pat... oh paaatttt... are you there?!

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home